Matt 5:43-48 (NLT)
43 “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. 44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. 48 But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.
We are called to live such different kinds of lives that we stand out from the rest of the world. We cannot relate with only those we like to ‘hang out’, but also with those we would never consider an engagement with. We most act like the deity Himself when we choose to love those who are furthest from Him, like we once were. Loving those who our gaze would normally overlook, or those we would intentionally look away from and do not deserve our love; these are precisely the ones God would choose to love through our hands and feet, our voices and expressions. When our love stands out, we stand out with the love of a perfect God.
- Thank God for His great love that He has demonstrated to you.
- Express to Him what that means to you.
- Thank Him for the confidence of His love in your life.
- Ask Him to help you love those in your life who are difficult for you to love.
- Ask Him to help you see them as He does and to act towards them as He would.
- Thank Him that His love enables you to love as He does.