It is tinsel time. And jingle bells.
However, not every person is jolly this time of year. As the tinsel goes up, for some, the soul drops into despair.
I have a very short word of hope for this: God. He is the first and the last word in hope for the broken hearted. Our Enemy, however, makes it hard to hold onto that truth. We must often rehearse the truths in its parts to combat his lies. Here are some foundation blocks on which you can stand firm when The Enemy is in your face.
- You. Are. Loved. The first lie The Enemy would have us believe is that we are UN-lovable. It is easy to buy into. Other people may have done things to you – horrible, betraying, demeaning, abusive things. It has made you wonder if you are lovable because why would that person do this to you…unless there was something wrong with you. That is a Lie. Or perhaps you have done things that you think are so shameful and so unforgiveable you could never be loved if someone really knew it all. Lie, again. Or maybe it is rooted in something I can’t even imagine. It is still a lie. All lies. The Enemy wants you to believe this lie so you remain defeated, especially when the rest of the world is tinsel-and-jingle-bells joy. Here is The Truth: Christ loved you so much He died for you. Even if no one else ever came to faith because of His sacrifice, He would still have died for you. Did die for you. And why? Because He loved you that much – you are so precious to Him that He could not bear Heaven without you. For God so loved, he gave his son. The Holy Spirit is the seal of proof in you until the time you go home to Heaven. You are known. You are seen. All of you – every bad and every good thing. You are known. And you are still loved. There is nothing in you, or that has been done to you, that can render you unlovable by the Father, the Son and The Holy spirit. TRUTH: You. Are. Loved.
- You. Are. Not. Alone. This is the second lie The Enemy would have us believe. It is tied to the first. I mean, if I am not loveable, then that is why no one wants to be around me. And if I am not loved or wanted, then why would I force my presence on them – better to stay in my room. Alone. When we buy into this lie, we think we are alone in our sorrow and mourning; no one cares. Lie. Still a lie. Always a lie. The Enemy wants you isolated and broken. Here is the Truth: I am with you until the end of the age, Jesus told us. The Holy Spirit is with us at all times. There is nowhere we can go in the earth that God is not already there. When you are sleeping He sings over you; when you are awake He watches over you. He bends low to hear your every gasping prayer and collect every tear, and He will never leave you – never. TRUTH: You. Are. Not. Alone.
Perhaps you already have a favorite verse you’ve worn thin from repeating it to yourself. But in case you don’t, let me leave with a few (just a few! There are many more!) of God’s promises to you.
God is your refuge, your strength, and your shelter:
- Psalm 119:114 You are my hiding place and my shield; I put my hope in Your word.
- Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
- Joel 3:16 The LORD will roar from Zion and raise His voice from Jerusalem; heaven and earth will tremble. But the LORD will be a refuge for His people, a stronghold for the people of Israel.
God loves you with a love stronger and deeper and wider than any human can love:
- Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- 1 John 3:1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!
- Ephesians 3 17-19 …And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power… to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
God is with you – He will not abandon you:
- Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Leviticus 26:11-12 I will make my dwelling among you, and my soul shall not abhor you. And I will walk among you and will be your God, and you shall be my people.
- Romans 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
- Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.”
This year has been harder for most of us than many other years. It is not one many of us want to repeat. If you face this holiday with more sorrow than joy, or more anger than peace, or more fear than you can remember having in a long time, take heart. God is still with you. You are still His beloved child, the apple of His eye. He is Big Enough to walk with you thru your entire sea of grief and thru every horror, memory, hurt. God doesn’t need (or want) you to be tinsel-and-jingle bell when inside you there is only pain. God is OK if you are real with Him. He will not turn from you.
You are loved.
You are not alone.
God is your strong tower.
He is with you unto the end of the time.